January 9, 2011

Love Triangles - Love Em' or Leave Em'?

Love triangles have taken the YA world by storm! It seems you can hardly pick up a book these days with out finding your self caught up in story with an intense love triangle. Even the blogging world has recently been debating the pro's and con's of this situation. So the question is Love 'Em or Leave 'Em?

Personally, I say LEAVE THEM! Can you say cliche, over done, and predictable? Cause I can. I know, I know. You're all thinking "This girl is CRAZY!" as your hitting the stop following button. But, someone needs to say the truth. And the truth is, there are much more interesting shapes than a triangle.

Love triangles usually revolve around one completely average girl with two guys that she isn't worthy of, competing for her. (*clears throat* TWILIGHT!) Not only is this completely unrealistic because the girl usually isn't all that lovable but it's almost always predictable. (The exception to this is The Hunger Games, first unpredictable triangle ever. And I'm sure it will be the last.) From the beginning the main character will lean toward's one of the two options and they're pretty much just using the second person because they're too weak to set things straight. This ends up breaking the second guys heart and in turn pissing off the reader because we've come to like the second guy just as much as the first. I get that the girl can only end up with one guy in the end but does the girl always have to be so needy as that she keeps the guys guessing when it's obvious who she really likes? What's wrong with the girl (or guy) just going after the one they really want. Why mess with another guys heart in the process?

I'm realizing as I'm writing this that for the reasons I just stated I actually really love love triangles and would miss them dearly if they dissolved away. But seriously YA authors, could we maybe cool it a little? And, when we are doing love triangles could we give the dejected friend (because we all know they NEVER pick the friend) a little bit of love too? Or spice it up a bit! Ever thought how a love pentagon would go?! :O Oh yes, I went there.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that love triangles, let's Leave 'Em for a bit. Cause really, it's getting to be too much. I Love 'Em, but we gotta cool it. Switch it up.

***Most true thing ever!

4 comments:

  1. Nice post! I completely agree- I'm sick of typical love triangles. They're only good if they're written well- in rare cases like The Hunger Games, and the whole book doesn't focus on the triangle.

    I also always love to see the character who gets left out- and you know will never be with the girl- getting together with someone else! I always feel bad for them if they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, when I read Shiver, I was like what I loved this book and it had NO love triangle. I like love triangles SOMETIMES, if they are done correctly, but most of them are just way to predictable. Twilight was the most painful love triangle ever, I felt so horrible while reading it. When I was done reading this, I realized I've come to just expect a love triangle, like a beginning middle and an end, like its a requirement..sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the angles caption.
    I like them sometimes. I agree- let's cool them for a bit, then resurrect when there's a new twist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Katy - Yeah, I expect love triangles pretty much every time I pick up a book so it's always an awesome surprise when there isn't one!

    @brandileigh2003 - I loved it too! It's just so true!

    ReplyDelete