There have been some undeniable trends as of late in YA novels. There's the vampires, werewolves, angels, fallen angels, and even zombies have put the living back into living dead. But, what about, well... EVERYTHING ELSE?! Here are some err, things, that I would like to see some more of in the future.
- Elves - One of my favorite parts of The Lord of the Rings and the Eragon books were the elves. They're immortal, extremely intelligent, and strong. AND THEY'RE MAGICAL!!! They're pretty much the best of the best. There are so many possibilities and I feel elves haven't really been explored yet.
- Dwarves - So what if they're tiny? They're pretty awesome! Where are the dwarves in the YA books? Huh? Yet another species that has been ignored despite their sheer AWESOMENESS!
- Giants/Trolls/Cyclops - Don't be hatin' on the tall people either. Giants, trolls, and cyclops are generally portrayed as the bad guys but if vampires, who drink human blood, can be good why can't these guys be?
- Satyr/Minotaur - I think the only place I've seen these guys were in Narnia and I miss them. :( The minotaur especially. Sure half of their body isn't human but that doesn't mean they don't deserve love too!
- And last but certainly not least (in fact this is probably the most important). WHY IN THE WORLD CAN WE NOT CREATE OUR OWN CREATURES?! I know for a fact that there are so many talented writers out there who could probably come up with some extremely epic paranormal/supernatural creatures. I would love to see something new pop up in the YA genre or even just writing in general.
So that's what I want to see some more of! What about you guys? Agree or disagree? Any new ideas? And if anyone could point me in the direction of a good book that's about one of these awesome creatures or anything else out of the norm I'd love it!
Love this post! Elves are so incredibly awesome!
ReplyDeleteI actually had an idea for a mysterious new species that's perfect, but I never penned it. I think minotaurs might be incredibly frightenening, but that's cool, too!
Interesting post, overall!
I'm lovin this post!
ReplyDeleteI have an absolutely amazing mystical creature . . . how about a cross over between and bear and wolf and it's called a "Bolf" . . . How cool is that?
Well, the Percy Jackson series has a Minotaur! I'm pretty sure it's evil, though. And I totally agree that elves are amazing... and so is the idea about creating creatures. Awesome ideas, Monica. ;)
ReplyDeleteHow about centaurs? I use to want to be one when I was young.
ReplyDeletesuper cute header!! new follower! love the blog!
ReplyDeletefollow me?!
http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/