Title: My Soul to TakeAuthor: Rachel Vincent
She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.
Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…"
My Soul to Take was okay as far as books go. The idea of the main character being a bean sidhe (aka banshee) was very refreshing. None of that vampire and werewolf stuff that's become so popular ever since Twilight hit the shelves. (Don't get me wrong, I fully support the vampire/werewolf books! It's just nice to read something different from time to time.) I liked that they really got into the details of bean sidhes because I didn't really know much about them. Like only the females can sing for deaths but the males can direct the souls back into the body. Another cool aspect was the involvement of reapers. There's a very cool reaper hierarchy set up among the reapers. Death is a very organised system, who knew?
Kaylee, the main character, I thought handled her gift very well. She wasn't obnoxious about it and she really wanted to do the right thing. I did find it weird how fast her relationship with Nash developed though. I mean, I realize book relationships happen in a matter of a chapter or two but I felt like theirs developed in a page or two and that they were really only together because of what the both were. I would have liked to get a better feel for their relationship.
As far as the writing, it wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it wasn't horrible either. It kept my attention while I was reading it but I could easily put it down and not come back to it for awhile. I didn't feel the need to keep reading like I normally do. Will I read the rest of the books in the series? Maybe if they're at the library. Would I suggest this book to someone? Maybe, depends on the person. It was certainly and easy read and it was interesting enough, not my first choice but not a bad choice.



Nice review! I've been thinking about reading this series for a while now. It looks really interesting.
ReplyDelete